The Geode Exploration Seismograph is the most popular engineering seismograph in the world, used by both academics and geophysical professionals. The Geode is a versatile and flexible seismograph, small and lightweight enough to pack into your suitcase, yet easily expandable if needed for full-scale 2D and 3D surveys via our intelligently designed distributed architecture. Use the Geode for reflection, refraction, MASW/MAM, or tomography surveys, as well as for more niche use cases such as earthquake, quarry blasts, or heavy equipment monitoring. The Geode can also easily handle marine profiling and continuous recording!
Use your laptop to view, record and even process your data using our software like SeisImager/2D-STD. You can connect Geodes together to build systems of over 1,000 channels. Geodes are shock-proof, dust-proof, submersible and able to withstand extreme temperatures. Engineered to last, we confidently offer a 3-year warranty for each new Geode sold, an industry leading offer.
Features and benefits
- Ultra Light-weight: 8 lb., 3.6 kg, modules are easy to carry and deploy.
- 3 Year Warranty: Supported by full time customer service staff with 4 technicians, 4 geophysicists, real-time on-line support available.
- Expandable: Available with 3 to 24 channels per module; connect more modules to build low cost distributed systems up to 1000 channels.
- Unmatched Specifications: 24 bit, ultra-high resolution 20 kHz bandwidth (8 to 0.02 ms sampling), low distortion (0.0005%), low noise (0.2uV), stacking accuracy (1/32 of sample interval).
- GPS Synchronization: Sub-sample timing accuracy so you know exactly when an event occurs.
- Built Rugged: Passes MIL810E vibration test, survives 1.5m drop onto concrete in 14 orientations, submersible.
- Easy Interface: Connects to any laptop or PC via standard network port. Plug the Geode into your building network and operate it remotely.
- Noiseless Digital Transmission: Data transmitted from Geodes digitally on light, inexpensive cables.
- Complete Performance and Line Testing: Built-in test finds bad geophones, cables. Interfaces with Geometrics field portable test oscillator when specifications verfication is required.
Configurations available in 8, 12, 16, or 24 channels in weatherproof field-deployable Geode module. Geode is operated from either Windows XP/7/10-based laptop or by Geometrics’ ruggedized StrataVisor NZ field computer/seismograph. Basic operating software controls one Geode. It can also be optionally expanded to control multiple Geodes, as well as do marine surveying, continuous recording, GPS synchronization, and seismic surveillance
- A/D Conversion: 24-bit result using Crystal Semiconductor sigma-delta converters and Geometrics proprietary over sampling.
- Dynamic Range: 144 dB (system), 110 dB (instantaneous, measured) at 2 ms, 24 dB.
- Distortion: 0.0005% @ 2 ms, 1.75 to 208 Hz.
- Bandwidth: 1.75 Hz to 20 kHz. 0.6 and DC low frequency option available.
- Common Mode Rejection: > 100 dB at <= 100 Hz, 36 dB.
- Crosstalk: -125 dB at 23.5 Hz, 24 dB, 2 ms.
- Noise Floor: 0.20 µV, RFI at 2 ms, 36 dB, 1.75 to 208 Hz.
- Stacking Trigger Accuracy: 1/32 of sample interval.
- Maximum Input Signal: 2.8 V PP, 0 dB.
- Input Impedance: 20 kOhm, 0.02 µf.
- Preamplifier Gains: Standard factory configuration is 24 and 36 dB. Optional configurations include 12 and 24 dB or 0 dB.
- Anti-alias Filters: -3 dB at 83% of Nyquist frequency.
- Acquisition and Display Filters:
- Low Cut: OUT, 10, 15, 25, 35, 50, 70, 100, 140, 200, 280, 400 Hz, 24 or 48 dB/octave, Butterworth.
- Notch: 50, 60, 150, 180 Hz and OUT, with the 50 dB rejection bandwidth 2% of center frequency.
- High Cut: OUT, 32, 64, 125, 250, 500 or 1000 Hz, 24 or 48 dB/octave.
- Sample Interval: 0.02, 0.03125, 0.0625, 0.125, 0.25, 0.5, 1.0, 2.0, 4.0, 8.0, 16.0 ms.
- Correlation: Optional (with SGOS, standard with MGOS) high-speed hardware correlator available in each Geode for fast cycle time with vibrators and pseudo-random sources. Correlates 16K record, unlimited channels, in under 1 second.
- Record Length: 16,384 samples standard, 65,536 samples optional.
- Pre-trigger Data: Up to full record length.
- Delay: Full record length to +100 sec.
- Data Transmission: Uses Ethernet transmission standard over CAT-5 copper or multimode fiber-optic cable. Distance between boxes: CAT 5 cable up to 0.25 km; fiber-optic cable up to 1.5 km.
- Event Trigger: Based on seismic event; criteria set by user. Continuous Recording (optional): Record GPS-synchronized, gapless data in SEG-2 format.
- Auxiliary Channels: All Geode channels can be programmed as either AUX or DATA.
- Roll-along: Built-in, no external roll box required.
- Geophone Testing: Pulse test measures resistance, sensitivity, natural frequency, and damping.
- Instrument Tests: Optional analog testing available. Measure noise, crosstalk, CMR, dynamic range, gain similarity and trigger accuracy. Additional built-in oscillator required.
- Data Formats: SEG-2 standard. SEG-D and SEG-Y available as options.
- System Software: Basic operating software includes full compliment of acquisition, display, plotting, filtering and storage features. Numerous optional features available; see SCS data sheet.
- Bundled Applications Software: SeisImager/2D Lite refraction analysis software from OYO.
- Data Storage: Stores data locally in SEG-2 on laptop/PC media. Drivers available for tape/disk storage in SEG-2/D/Y.
- Plotters: Drives any Windows-compatible plotter or printer.
- Triggering: Positive/negative TTL or contact closure, software adjustable threshold. STA/LTA-like algorithm for triggering on seismic waveform.
- Power: Requires 12V external battery. Uses 0.5 W/channel during acquisition (0.25 ms sample rate). A single 12 Amp-hour battery is sufficient for a typical day of data acquisition; standby mode reduces power consumption by 70%.
- Environmental: Operates from -50ºC to +70ºC (-58ºF to +158ºF). Waterproof and submersible. Withstands a 1m drop onto concrete on 6 sides and 8 corners. Passes MIL810E/F vibration.
- Physical: L: 25.4 cm; W: 30.5 cm; H: 17.75 cm; Weight: 3.6 kg (10x12x7 in; 8 lb). Uses waterproof Bendix 61-pin connector for geophone input.
- Operating System: Windows XP/7/10.
- Warranty: Three years standard, extended warranty available.
Shipping Weights & DIMS
|Contents||Dimensions (L x W x H)||Weight|
|Case 1 - Geode Seismograph Only||12in x 14in x 8in
26cm x 31cm x 18cm
|Case 2 - Geode w/ Surveying Equipment Kit||28in x 20in x 16in
71cm x 50cm x 40cm
- Versatile Seismic Recorder: Petroleum exploration and monitoring, engineering studies, depth to bedrock, fault and fracture location, hydrologic investigations, research and teaching.
- Reflection: Suitable for shallow reflection, deep reflection, 2-D and 3-D surveys
- Refraction: Comes with built-in first break picking and analysis
- Marine Surveys: Very fast time between shots, real-time single-trace gathers, gun monitoring, noise snapshots, tape swapping for 24/7 operation.
- Sub-bottom Profiling: Works with boomers, sparkers, bubble-pulse sources or air guns
- 4-D Time Lapse Surveys: Weather-proof Geodes can be left in place or redeployed easily for accurate repeat surveys
- Earthquake Monitoring: Uses STA/LTA type algorithm to trigger on incoming data stream, synchronizes with GPS clock
- Continuous Recording: Continuous mode plus GPS synchronization for blast and vibration monitoring, general industrial applications.
- MASW: UBC Vs30/ IBC Vs100 Site Classification, microzonation studies (H/V method), foundational engineering