DescriptionThe MagArrow is our first ever UAS-enabled magnetometer and it’s setting a new standard for UAS magnetic surveys. The MagArrow is engineered to simplify surveys that are difficult due to the various limitations of pilot-on-board surveys and ground surveys. The MagArrow is a robust yet flexible system that can adapt to changing field conditions and new user workflows. The MagArrow consists of an aerodynamic, light-weight carbon fiber shell with internal electronics including the MFAM™ magnetic sensors, GPS, and IMU. The MFAM™, a two sensor module inside the MagArrow is our most groundbreaking magnetometer yet, capable of highly precise measurements in an extremely lightweight and tiny package. Operation in the field is simple. Survey details are programmed into the user’s UAS software of choice. The MagArrow is turned on, and once airborne, preprogrammed GPS waypoints carry the MagArrow in altitude stable survey lines. Once work is completed, data from the MagArrow can be wirelessly downloaded to a computer. The MagArrow can be attached easily to a wide variety of enterprise UAS’s, and the MagArrow’s 1000 Hz sample rate and synchronized on-board GPS allow it to function independently of the UAS and the UAS software. With such a fast sample rate, surveys can be completed at speeds up to 10 m/s with samples collected every 1 cm. Revolutionize your magnetic surveying capabilities with the Geometrics MagArrow!
Helpful MagArrow ResourcesBulletin - MagArrow Browser Interface MagArrow Compensation Flight Instructions MagArrow, MFAM, G-864 Survey Manager Walkthrough
Features and benefits
- Lightweight: Weighs only 1 kg, allowing a flight time 20% longer than a 2.5 kg-payload UAV.
- UAS Agnostic: Attachable to most enterprise UASs
- Self-Contained: GPS, storage, and WiFi on board. No data connections to UAV needed.
- Super-Fast Sampling Rate: Fly faster, up to 10 m/s with samples every 1 cm. Filter out UAV motor noise.
- QC in the Field: View and QC data in the field using any device with a web browser app interface.
- Low Power: A single 1800 mAh lithium polymer battery will power the system for 2 hours, outlasting multiple UAV flights. Batteries are hot-swappable.
- Operating Principle: Laser pumped cesium vapor (Cs133 non-radioactive) total field scalar magnetometer.
- Operating Range: 20,000 to 100,000 nT.
- Gradient Tolerance: 10,000nT/m.
- Operating Zones: Configured for operation anywhere in the world without dead zones.
- Dead Zone: None.
- Noise/Sensitivity: 0.005nT/ √Hzrms typical.
- Sample Rate: 1000 Hz. synchronized to GPS 1PPS.
- Bandwidth: 400Hz.
- Heading Error: ± 5 nT over entire 360° equatorial and polar spins typical.
- Output: WiFi data download over 2.4GHz WiFi access point.
- GPS: Commercial grade with typical 3m accuracy, 1m possible.
- USB Port: Port for USB flash drive. Used for field upgrades.
- Data Logger: Built in Data Logger.
- Data Storage: 32 Gbyte Micro SD card, U3 speed class. Not field-accessible. Contact sales for higher capacities.
- Logging Device: MagArrow is operated using AndroidTM tablets and phones and is not compatible with iOS devices.
- Data Download: Over WiFi 2.4GHz using user-supplied browser-capable device. 10 minutes of data collected requires 1 minute to download.
- IMU: Bosch BMI160 Accel/Gyro - 200 Hz sample rate. Insentek Compass - 100 Hz Sample rate.
- Total Weight: 1 kg without batteries.
- Length: 1 m.
- Battery Connection: 2x XT60 connectors for 206 type batteries.
- Battery Recommendations: Non-magnetic 1800 mAh or 2200 mAh lithium polymer, 3cell, 11.1v. Hot swappable.
- Operating Temperature: -10°C to +40°C (+14°F to +104°F).
- Altitude: Performance guaranteed up to 3,000 m (10,000 ft.). Typically limited by UAS maximum altitude. Contact Sales for higher altitude operation.
- Humidity: Non-condensing.
- Standard: Carrying case, AC power adapter and USB drive containing operation manual and software.
- Warranty: 1 year.
The current version of Survey Manager is SurveyManagerInstaller-2.3.1164.4.exe released in March 2022.
The current version of MagArrow Setup is MagArrowSetup-2.2.1585-502.exe released in March 2022.
Click on the firmware/software button below or use this link MagArrow_Setup_Filesto download the latest files.
- Turn on the magnetometer
- Wave the sensor part of the MagArrow above the magnetometer (as close as possible but not touching)
- Wave in both west and east directions
- Check whether this is any magnetometer reading change when the MagArrow passes by
- If reading changes are observed, there must be some contamination.
- MagArrow Case: While the body of the MagArrow is sealed tight, it is not sealed enough to puff out or get crushed with altitude changes. This hasn’t been tested.
- LiPo Batteries: These are not altitude rated. The failure mode is shorted cells and fire.
- Thermal Cooling: This could be measured in a pressure chamber using the internal temperature monitor diodes. We would have to rent time in the chamber to do the measurement. We might also make a stab at calculating the temperature increase. 30,000 feet is about 3 PSIA compared to 14 PSIA at sea level.
Shipping Weights & DIMS
|Contents||Dimensions (L x W x H)||Weight|
|Case 1 - Pelican Case, MagArrow, Tablet, Battery Electronics, Misc. Cables||48in x 18in x 8in 122cm x 46cm x 20cm||25 lbs 11kg|
- In-Accessible Terrain: Difficult of dangerous terrain is no problem for the MagArrow, making it perfect for surveying wetlands, heavily vegetated areas, extreme terrain, or protected lands.
- Environmental: Find abandoned wells, pipes, and storage tanks quickly and with precise positioning.
- Archaeology: Survey vast distances and leave potential archaeology sites undisturbed with the MagArrow.
- Geology: Survey for regional variations in the magnetic field with the MagArrow.
- UXO Detection: Traveling at high speed with a fast sample rate, our MagArrow is the perfect tool to survey sites for detection and delineation of UXO.